THE SEVENTH DAY OF HOMETAPES…
DOWNLOAD: Megafaun “I Saw Three Ships”
Favorite Musical Discoveries of 2009: (no order)
1. Abner Jay “The True Story of Abner Jay” (Mississippi Records Forever!)
2. Hammer No More The Fingers “Looking For Bruce”
3. Califone “Lunar H” (unreleased side 4 of All My Friends…)
4. Sharon Van Etten “Because I Was In Love”
5. Breathe Owl Breathe “Ghost Glacier”
6. Vetiver “Tight Knit”
7. Staff Benda Bilili “Tres Tres Forte”
8. Avett Brothers “I and Love and You”
9. Jim O’Rourke “The Visitor”
10. Bill Frisell “All Hat Soundtrack” AND “Disfarmer”
Favorite “Better Late Than Never’s” of 2009: (Still sorting through the mess…)
1. Ry Cooder’s first five albums (thanks Dad)
2. Slim Smith (thanks David)
3. Sam Chatmon (thanks Lomax)
4. Jo Ann Kelly (thanks Universe)
Favorite People I Met in 2009: (no order)
1. David Beaugier, the mayor of Paris
2. Remco Frijns
3. Will Waghorn
4. Marc, Veronique, and Faustine Hollander
5. The entire posse from Other Voices in Ireland
6. The Crammed Staff
7. Kofi Amponsah
8. Matt Chapman
9. The entire staff at The Band Room in North York Moors, UK
Favorite Shows I Attended in 2009: (no order)
1. Hammer No More The Fingers at Cat’s Cradle in Carrboro
2. Mount Weather/Max Indian at Tir Na Nog in Raleigh
3. Bon Iver at Hollywood Forever Cemetary in LA
4. Dodos at Le Guess Who Fest in Utrecht
5. Bowerbirds at La Strada in Montreal
6. Rosebuds at The Bell House in Brooklyn
7. Charlie Parr at the Nightlight in Chapel Hill
8. All Tiny Creatures at Friend Island Day Party SXSW
9. Slaraffenland at Hometapes Showcase SXSW
10. Great White Jenkins/Fight the Big Bull at Joe’s Wedding in SC
Favorite Places (SO FAR) to eat Pho: (In strict order, but always anticipating changes)
1. Egg Roll Plus in Eau Claire, WI
2. Pho Mai in Middleton, CT
3. Pho Van on Hawthorne in Portland, OR
4. Pho Cali on Capital Blvd in Raleigh, NC
5. Lotus in Minneapolis
Favorite Instruments purchased/accquired/borrowed/played in 2009:
1) Reyong from Ubud, Bali
2) Accordion from Eau Galle,WI
3) Akai MPD 3 Midi Controller
4) ipod/iphone from my wife, Carson
5) Tambura-Box from my wife
6) Will Anderson’s Big Fuzz Pedal
7) Pinson Chanselle’s bouncy ball scraper
8) Mickey’s D’Loughy’s floor tom
9) homemade overhead snare attachment in Groningen, Holland music store
10) Vern’s Gayngs Drumkit
11) Broken Bass Bow sent from Boston by Jess Fox
Favorite hands-on musical moments of 2009:
1) Entering the New Year with my wife and my best friends all on the Knitting Factory stage with Akron/Family singing “Auld Lang Syne”
2) SXSW Friend Island: acoustic show, so hot, completely silent audience
3) Mixing/assembling “Impressions of the Past” in The Rosebuds’ basement, with Kelly and Ivan coming down frequently to check on us
4) Improvised performance at Wesleyan University: ocean waves break beneath white noise, framing the most beautiful banjo/guitar interplay I’ve ever heard
5) Brad’s bass playing on “Columns”: sincerely, too many jaw dropping moments to choose just one
6) Utrecht, Le Guess Who Festival: Phil’s guitar comes alive!!!
7) Riffing on the refrain of MJ’s “Lady of My Life” at my wedding with The Great White Jenkins, while making suggestive gestures towards my wife
8) Eau Claire, WI House of Rock: spontaneous crowd sing-along during ”Darkest Hour”
9) The entire Wiltern Theater (LA) show with Bon Iver: first time feeling quite confident in front of well over a thousand people
10) Vocal improv at Chinati in Marfa, TX with the Bon Iver dudes: Donald Judd’s 100 aluminum sculptures surrounding us
Best Drives of 2009:
1) To Pawley’s Island, SC with my wife, a few days before our wedding
2) From North Yorkshire Moors to Ireland, starting at 1am, long talks and lots of coffee
3) From Omaha, NE to Reno, NV on the Bon Iver tour bus, waking up early with a hangover, and just going back to my bunk to sleep it off, just because I could…brilliant!
4) From the Balinese Temple Gunung Kawi to volcanic Mount Batur: honeymoon vibes
5) From Dresden to Amsterdam on a Thanksgiving away from home with our friends Trever and Derek: sharpie mustaches, mock-interviews, silly games, reminiscent talks and general excitement
6) From Portland, OR to a watering hole/cliffs somewhere in Washington: sandwiched in the front seat between two Bowerbirds, holding a bottle of wine and wearing a pink bicycle helmet.
7) White Sands National Park, NM: Summer tour with the Bowerbirds and Sara P.
8) Along the Dingle, Ireland coast with Trish and Sinead from Other Voices
Top Ten People I met on tour in 2009 (in no particular order):
1. Will Waghorn
2. Remco (the one and only)
3. Lisa O’Hara
4. Kofi and Matt
5. Eoin and Phil
6. Paul Sawyer
7. Cody in Phoenix who found a way for me to play in a basketball game on tour
8. Phil Waldorf
9. David Beaugier (the mayor of Paris)
10. Anette Dujisin
Top Five Laker Games I watched in 2009:
1. Game 5 of the NBA Finals against the Orlando Magic. Lakers win the NBA Finals.
2. Game 7 of the NBA Western Conference Finals against the Houston Rockets. Lakers won to advance to NBA Finals.
3. Lakers beating the Celtics in Boston of FEB 5, 2009, thus creating a so called “season sweep”.
4. Lakers beating the Cavs in Cleveland on the same roadtrip on FEB 8, I believe. Cleveland’s 1st home loss of the season. Kobe had the flu and Lamar went crazy with like 30 points.
5. Lakers beating the Miami Heat on DEC 4 with Kobe’s unbelievable last second shot. Simply the best.
My left hand in pickup basketball. Sometimes its easy to forget you have two limbs. Discover the left hand and develop it. This is not just for basketball, its a metaphor. Not that mine is any good, but it has been discovered!
Favorite Moment of 2009:
Looking over my right shoulder at the Wiltern Theatre in Los Angeles and seeing Vern play bass(very tastefully might I add) on The Fade. Getting my favorite two-eyed wink in the world from one of my best friends.
Favorite Shows Attended:
1. The Hallelujah Train at the Hayti Center in Durham (Greg Liesz, Brian Blade, Dan Lanois and Buddy Miller backing up a Gospel Choir from Shreveport, LA. Unreal.
2. Bon Iver at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery
3. Bad Plus at the Primavera Festival in Spain
4. Hammer No More the Fingers at the Cradle for the Here, Here show. (Also of NOTE: Hammer No More the Fingers’ “Looking for Bruce” is my 2009 Album of the Year)
5. All Tiny Creatures at SXSW at Friend Island
Photos by Sara. Summer 2009 Megafaun US tour.